Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Training Should Be Draining

My players may think I only know two or three words sometimes, as I am always trying to motivate them to train with more effort.  They usually hear the phrase, "Come'on, I need to see more effort."  Of course, I always explain to a new group what I mean by this so they're not surprised when I say it.

Why do I say it though?

Well, I am not trying make them into mindless zombies who need to "make the donuts" every morning, but training should be draining for both the players and the coach.  It's about trying things over and over again and messing up over and over again so that one time when a player starts getting right, it's like they just scored a game winning goal.  For the coach it's about supporting and encouraging them over and over so the one when a player gets it right, you feel like you just watched them score the game winning goal.

I know it works too...not from soccer, but from watching my kids try something in a video game over and over until I hear, "YES!  I did it." or working on a trick one other player started doing before practice and now the pressure's on to be able to do it themselves and when they do it, I hear, "YES!  I did it."

The result of it all is watching the pressure melt away when it comes time for game day when they confidently say to themselves, "I've done this before, it's no sweat and now I can just have fun with it."

...and for the coach, game day is then all about thinking, "They've all done this before, it's no sweat and now I can just have fun watching it."

No comments:

Post a Comment