Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Spotlight on coaches: Coach Rick Rocks!

I love to see our coaches put out game recaps, which really help get our new and incumbent parents engaged and entrenched in what we are trying to teach.

My spotlight is Coach Rick, who's girls are playing some local U10 recreational and went from almost not having a team this season to a team filled with 4 returning players, 1 moving up from our U8 group and 7 brand new to the program Legends players.

They had 2 training sessions together before beginning the season.  I was able to hang with them as a facilitator during their first training together.  Great group of girls and very interested in learning.  Here's a great recap from Coach Rick on their first match together:

Legends,

Not a bad start to the season.  With many new faces I was pleasantly surprised with the effort and quick adaptation to what we are emphasizing.  We had many subs - some of the girls are playing in two leagues so we won't always have a full 12 person roster but after watching some girls get extremely winded after 8 minutes playing it was good to have the subs.  We rotated everyone out every 8 minutes so everyone should have played right about 50% of the game - as close as I could make it.

I put a challenge to the girls to attempt the Puskas move.  Many accomplished the goal however a few didn't and were a little disappointed after.  That's ok because they are learning what to expect and what we are looking for.  I'm sure the focus and determination next time will certainly be there.  
Overall I saw several moves - combinations of reverses, cuts, Maradonna turns, Cruyff moves, stop and go's from some returning players.  I also saw some reverse turns, Puskas moves and some great aggressiveness with some newer players.

We will continue to work on footwork and ball handling skills in the practices to come.  I know some of the girls have historically been taught to pass when the opportunities come about rather than use their dribbling skill to beat an opponent - or kick the ball clear when on defense - I even had one girl, when I asked her to not just kick the ball downfield but instead try dribbling it - even all the way to the goal and shoot, ask if that was even allowed if playing defense :)

In the upcoming games I will be asking the goalkeepers to punt the ball rather than throw it.  It may be a disaster at times, but its a quick way to get the hang of it - consequently throwing it out isn't necessarily a sure thing either.  If we give up some silly goals because of an errant punt - it's ok.  It's not about the score but what we can learn and develop.  

As we continue, I'll be asking the girls to try performing a move every time they get the ball and look forward to the excitement of their accomplishments and the confidence to come.

Well done Coach Rick!

No comments:

Post a Comment